Thursday 30 December 2010

Breastfeeding in public for beginners...

Breastfeeding in public is important.

The first time I breastfed in public was when my daughter was tiny. We went to Wetherspoons for breakfast early on Sunday morning. I had fed her before we left the house as I was a little nervous about feeding in public but knew I would do it if need be. I wore a top with buttons down and also took a Muslin square just in case.

Just as I tucked into my cooked breakfast baby woke up. I tried rocking her car seat (this was before I knew about baby-wearing!), then my husband tried rocking her and nothing would stop the little wail escaping her tiny lungs...there was only one thing for it - I had to feed her in a public place for the very first time. I was discreet & as soon as I latched her on she was happy. However, behind my husband was a table of two, the guy had his back to me but his wife could see me. I smiled at her but she gave me a dirty look, she then pointed to me (yes I know!) and said something to her husband, he looked over and then stood up and they moved to another table well away from us, tutting as they walked past! I was mortified and also angry as I personally had never been bothered by breastfeeding and I was being so discreet - what would they rather me do? Leave my bundle yelling at the top of her lungs until I had finished my brekkie? Yet I did not have the confidence to say anything as it all happened so fast. I so wish I had though!

Now breastfeeding in public is REALLY important.

Why is breastfeeding in public important??

Well, in the UK the majority of Mums bottle feed their babies after the first few weeks. By 6 months on about 1 in 5 women are still breastfeeding and only about 1% EXCLUSIVELY breastfeed for the first 6 months. That means bottle feeding in our country is the norm. Bottles are everywhere; baby dolls come with bottles, bottles are on ''New Baby'' cards and wrapping paper, most soaps barely cover the issue of breastfeeding, even Fiona in Shrek the third uses a bottle & Peppa pig - honestly they are everywhere. This constant association between new babies and bottles has helped to normalise bottle feeding. Now if women who breastfeed make sure they feed in public unashamedly they are sending out a quiet message that breastfeeding is ok. A new Mum may sit down in Costa look around and see another Mum breastfeeding, that may give her the confidence to also breastfeed in public. On the rare occasion you are challenged for feeding in public this is the perfect time to state some of the reasons you breastfeed OR the risks of formula feeding, the person you are telling them to may or may not listen but there may be others surrounding you that WILL listen. Your rant at the anti-breast feeder may even encourage a pregnant women within earshot to breastfeed.

The next thing to remember is the discretion in which you breastfeed in public is UP TO YOU. I used to be very discreet but as my daughter has got older and hates things over her face I am now rather indiscreet. I am not doing it on purpose, my daughter is so nosey, someone walks past and she unlatches & looks at them giving the person walking past an eyeful. Sometimes I feel a bit embarrassed but we are mammals at the end of the day and its only a nipple. The most important thing is my daughter is getting her milk the way nature intended & that is what is best for her.

Some breastfeeding mothers do not feel comfortable feeding in public & that is sad but up to them. Others feel you must buy the appropriate nursing clothes if you do it so nothing is on show, again that's up to them. There is no right or wrong way to breastfeed in public but I feel its really important people do :) x

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is opinion only, I love to hear from you but this is not a debate forum - if you have nothing nice to say then please move on :) x